Michael A. Vanderhorst — Attorney at Law
Delivering 31-plus years of practical insight into Ohio's Workers' Compensation system to help injured & disabled workers.
On your behalf, Michael Vanderhorst brings to the table more than 31 years of experience with the Ohio workers' compensation system. Mike began his career in the workers' compensation arena as a law-clerk helping injured workers while still attending the College of Law at the University of Toledo. He has handled complex cases on appeal.
In 1982, his first year practicing law, Mike was successful in arguing a case before the Ohio Supreme Court to secure two years of compensation for the widow of a worker who died while his check was literally "in-the-mail." The two year delay in receiving the compensation was caused by the Bureau of Workers' Compensation's slowness in processing the worker's application. While other attorneys thought the widow's case was a "lost cause," Mike successfully argued to have a 40 year old case overturned and to have the past due benefits paid to the widow. (See State ex rel. Nyitray, v. Indus. Comm., 2 Ohio St. 3d 173, 1983.)
Mike next worked with the UAW Legal Services Corp. for one year and then became Workers' Compensation counsel at Jeep Corp. in Toledo, appearing at thousands of Industrial Commission hearings. While there, he was awarded the Lee Iacocca Chairman's Award along with a labor and management task force that helped reduce worker injuries by implementing ergonomic corrections to the vehicle production process. He also was President of a workers' compensation association for Northwest Ohio during his employment with Jeep.
For two years he was in solo practice in Columbus in the workers' compensation field and also worked two years for a large Columbus law firm.
Mike also worked nine years as an Assistant Attorney General in the A.G.'s Workers' Compensation Section. His A.A.G. position provided him with the opportunity to again argue cases before Courts of Common Pleas, Appellate Courts and the Ohio Supreme Court. In 2003, Mike was awarded the A.G.'s Outstanding Employee Award. Mike knows how The Bureau of Workers' Compensation and Industrial Commission sometimes mishandle claims and he can draw on that knowledge to effectively represent you, the injured worker.
Mike is admitted to the Ohio Bar and the Federal Court Bar for the Northern and Southern Districts of Ohio and the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals. Mike graduated from Rogers High School, UT magna cum laude and UT College of Law. During college, Mike served on Student Government and was President of the UT Apple Tree co-op day care center for children of UT students, faculty and staff. Before and during college, Mike built homes for five years working as a framing carpenter and crew leader, and also worked briefly as a pipe welder at B.P. Toledo. Mike keeps his carpentry skills up by working on Habitat for Humanity projects.
Mike’s interests include long distance bike riding as well as home improvement projects and gardening. Mike is a three time participant in the American Cancer Society’s Pan Ohio Hope Ride, a 328 mile fund raising bicycle ride from Cleveland to Cincinnati.
- Workers' Compensation
- Social Security Disability
- University of Toledo, B.A., 1977, magna cum laude
- University of Toledo College of Law, J.D., 1981
- 1982, Ohio Supreme Court
- 1983, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- 2002, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- 2002, U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
Mike was counsel in the following reported Ohio cases:
- State ex rel. Druggan v. Indus. Comm., 85 Ohio St. 3d 680, 1999
- State ex rel. Dibble v. Presrite Corp., 85 Ohio St. 3d 275, 1999
- State ex rel. Nyitray, v. Indus. Comm., 2 Ohio St. 3d 173, 1983
- State ex rel. Harsch v. Indus. Comm., 83 Ohio St. 3d 280, 1998
- State ex rel. Curtin v. Indus. Comm., 86 Ohio St. 3d 581, 1999
- State ex rel. Garon v. Univ. Hosp. of Cleveland, 88 Ohio St. 3d 288, 2000
- State ex rel. Carey v. Am. Seaway Foods, Inc., 87 Ohio St. 3d 179, 1999
- State ex rel. Mayle v. Indus. Comm., 86 Ohio St. 3d 74, 1999
- Anders v. Powertrain Div., Gen. Motors Corp., 2004 Ohio 2469, 2004
- State ex rel. Cleveland Browns, Inc. v. Indus. Comm. , 84 Ohio St. 3d 220, 1998
- State ex rel. Hoskins v. Indus. Comm.85 Ohio St. 3d 670, 710 NE 2d 1123, 1999
- State ex rel. Holt v. St. Elizabeth Medical Center, 83 Ohio St. 3d 359, 1998
- Morrin v. Daimler Chrysler Corp., 2007 Ohio 6888, 2007
- State ex rel. Humphrey v. Indus. Comm., 83 Ohio St. 3d 360, 1998
- State ex rel. Feldkamp v. E. Ohio Gas Co., 84 Ohio St. 3d 221, 1998
- State ex rel. Jones v. Indus. Comm., 82 Ohio St. 3d 508, 1998
- State ex rel. Kriner v. LTV Steel Co., 84 Ohio St. 3d 223, 1998
- State ex rel. Martin v. Indus. Comm., 84 Ohio St. 3d 114, 1998
Born in Toledo, Ohio, 1952
From offices located in Toledo, Vanderhorst & Burgy, LLC proudly serves clients throughout Lucas, Ottawa, Sandusky, Wood, Fulton and Henry counties in Ohio and Monroe and Lenawee counties in Michigan.